Tom Cartwright is the Founder of Cartwright Coaching & one of Australia’s leading coaches for substance abuse such as alcohol, marijuana and cocaine. His passion for working with clients to overcome addiction and live a life of choice has been fueled from his own inspiring story.
In this podcast, Tom tells us how he’s navigated the journey from his own addictions to alcohol and gambling, to a life of meaning, purpose and fulfillment. Find out how he’s overcome his own shadows – including the fear of success – along the way.
Here are just some of the things Tom and I discuss:
- The connection between addiction and shame.
- What is “toxic shame”?
- Why recovery and healing is not a straight line.
- The power of making a decision.
- Why allowing yourself to live your best life must come before healing addiction.
- How to get clear and honest about our comfort zones and how they are playing into our addictive patterns.
- Why transitioning from surviving to thriving is a huge step to congratulate ourselves for and be patient with ourselves through.
- Developing a healthy relationship with fear.
- How our primitive brain and tribal instincts challenge our drive to thrive.
- The beauty (and effectiveness) of baby steps.
- A powerful metaphor for how to up-level the way we relate with change.
- Shooting for higher-quality problems.
- How to build self-trust.
If you like hearing coaches and mentors talk about their imperfect journeys, their vulnerable moments, and how truly human they are, you’ll love this episode. Tom is authentic, caring, and real. His huge heart shines through, and he’s had plenty of life experience that he isn’t afraid to share. This interview is full of perspective changes and mental shifts you can put in place right now to start changing your reality to a more empowered one. As I always say, the real work starts inside, and once you take care of the inner, the rest takes care of itself.